Key to Happiness

Chelsey - Magnolia, Arkansas
Themes: love

Love is a complicated word. There are many definitions for love; the word can refer to one’s attraction and devotion toward another being, or cherishing another so much as to shower him or her with affection. In the Bible, I Corinthians 13 states, “Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude.” I believe that love is pure bliss.

Many people have a chance to experience love at least once in a lifetime. Most experience love through relationships that start as casual, but evolve into something formal and enchanting, such as an engagement or, eventually, a marriage. Although couples argue, if their love for one another is true, their problems will be quickly solved. “Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.” As the verses continue, they show that love does not go separate ways and does not point out wrongdoings in a relationship but compromises and celebrates virtuous conduct.

Although love can be shown undeniably in relationships with people, it can also be shown in relationships with animals. The bond between an animal and its caretaker is unbreakable. A popular quote that certainly proves that the connection between man and animal is inevitably present in society is, “Dog is man’s best friend.” No matter what the pet, animals always seem to comprise this love for their owners, adoring them both people and as friends.

Regardless of whether the love one possesses is for another person or another animal, love is pure bliss. In my relationships, I try to find ways to spend extra time with the people I love. Laughing or crying, we converse about past, present, and future situations, which only brings us closer together. Being so close to people and having them there to talk to about anything brings a sense of peace to the heart, mind, and soul. This is also commonly seen among pet and owner relationships, especially if that person doesn’t have a relationship with another human being, whether that person be a spouse or a child. My stepfather is a K-9 unit for the sheriff’s department and has never had children, but when he received his license as a K-9 patrol unit and started training his German Shepherd, he grew closer to the dog and started spending all of his spare time off working with him. Being a K-9 unit is no longer just an occupation for my daddy, instead he calls it a “wonderful gift from God…that helps him get through the day.”

Love; what is it? Is it the relationship between two people, or a man and an animal? I believe it is both. No matter what the case, love can be shown in the smallest of ways. According to the end of I Corinthians 13, “Love never ends; as for prophecy, it will pass away…for it is imperfect.” Love is blissful and like the rain, pure and never ending.