obsticals

Brittney - Phoenix, Arizona

Why do we have obstacles in life? Perhaps it is because the hardest obstacles in life can put you in a better place. I have had so much happen in order to realize the worst part of life can be the beginning of a new, positive life. Trying to get through the obstacles made me feel I may not be able to make it. It felt like I would never be in a positive place again. But I knew what I had to make these sacrifices for and there was no way I was going to give up.

This year of 2008 in the month of March, changed my life forever. The beginning of the year was very difficult, and I had to make a lot of changes. My mom is not a very good person. She kicked me out of the house because she didn’t agree with my clothes, music, and who I am as a person. I had nowhere to go. So my last resort was with a friend out in Phoenix. Going from the little town of Apache Junction, to the big city of Phoenix was very difficult. Right away, I needed to switch schools so I didn’t lose my credits. That was not easy, going from school to school explaining my story. It was difficult to get in and most places said it would be too much trouble so the last place was North High where I was finally accepted.

The biggest change was being very broke. I have to pay my own bills and buy everything I need, including food, etc. I have no support. My life is a huge never-ending circle of complications. I lost my car, job, family, friends, and generally, people to help me out. Now, I have no phone to take care of things or to keep in touch with friends or family. I can’t afford insurance to drive to visit friends or to sign papers I need to. My mom won’t even let me see my sisters. She just doesn’t want me to have anything to do with them because she doesn’t like who I am.

Living off my last three pay checks is hard. I have tried to get another job but no one will hire me because of my situation. But the best part about this is I didn’t lose the person that hasn’t given up on me: my soon to be husband. He has helped me so much and has even lent me money to help with bills. But then my mom did something to take him out of my life, it’s called a restraining order. So basically right now it is illegal for us to have any contact whatsoever. So, I’m waiting for the papers to go through, but that didn’t tear us apart. I am so glad he has been here through everything and he is taking care of me.

All of these things are very negative. But in the end, what I realized is that these experiences have made me a more responsible student and a strong young woman. Even though this hard obstacle isn’t over yet, I know I’m going to make it and be in a better place in my life. And now I believe (and have learned) the hardest obstacles in life can put you in a better place.