Rachel - snohomish, Washington
Themes: family, integrity

I believe in the quote, “Trust is like a vase… once it’s broken, though you can fix it the vase will never be the same again.” This is most important to me because it is 100% true in my eyes. I have made a few mistakes in the past that have caused people to loose trust in me. Loosing someone’s trust is the hardest thing for me to deal with. I hate letting people down. I have learned from my mistakes and am now very loyal and trustworthy to everyone around me.

When I first got my license, my mom was very protective over my driving. She didn’t want me to go anywhere besides school and to my horse lessons. If I wanted to go somewhere else, I was to have that person I was hanging out with come and pick me up. Having that protection over me was annoying at times because all my friends lived far away from me and didn’t want to drive all the way out to my house to come pick me up.

I obeyed my mom rules and everything was fine until she started to finally let me stay the night at friends’ houses with my car. I then felt like I had all the freedom in the world and would drive all over the place without her knowing. Well I still had two months left before I was allowed to drive someone outside my family around in the car, which I was aware of, but didn’t follow once my mom was letting me go more places. She thought I was obeying the rule because I would inform her I was, but I really wasn’t.

One day, my friend and I went to the mall without my mom knowing, but soon got caught when she drove by my friend’s house to drop off some money for me. I totally forgot she was going to do that on her way home from work. Once my mom got to her house and saw that my car wasn’t there she freaked out and called my cell phone a million times until I finally picked up the phone. She played stupid and asked what we were up too so I said we were just sitting at my friends house watching a movie.

Then she started yelling saying I was lying and asking where I really was. By that time I knew I was in trouble, I told her the truth and she told me to come home right away. I dropped my friend off at her house then went home dreading what will happen when I arrived there.

Once home, my parents sat me down and explained how I lost their trust and I was not to use my car for a couple months. I broke rules and I had to pay for them. Even now I’m paying for them two years later. My parents always ask where I’m going and they sometimes check on me where ever I am. I regret breaking the rule and taking my car without them knowing because it has changed everything. I understand they are just doing this to protect me because they love me, and I understand that it will never be the same again.