Strength in Struggle

Erik - Palatine, Illinois
Themes: family, setbacks

Looking back on my younger years, I lived a pretty sheltered life. We had the nice big house, in the nicer area of suburban Chicago. Who could ask for more? But lesson learned, it seemed that good things can’t last forever.

When I was in 8th grade my parents, who always seemed to be happy together, let me and my younger brother know that they were going to get a divorce. I had no clue what this would me for us, and how it would shape our lives in the future, and how much it really meant. I tried to deny it happening, but when my dad moved out, it got real. We had to move out of our house and downsize for financial reasons, and I only got to see my dad every other weekend. Each meeting was awkward and strange.

Then, my dad came out and told us why the divorce took place.

I learned from these experiences, and truly got respect for the idea that you can’t enjoy the good times as well without living the bad times. I think everyone needs to have an experience in their life, or numerous, where they are truly tested, and how they emerge from each situation defines them as a person. I choose to fight through things, and make the best of what comes my way, and at the end of the day, I can still look at myself in the mirror and be happy with how I live. Not everyone can say that, and I’m proud of the fact that I can.