Peace in Preparedness

Hank - chatsworth, Georgia

Peace in Preparedness

I believe in being prepared for life’s unexpected setbacks. A small amount of money, food, and supplies gives me security against the future. Uncertainty and fear may cause anxiety, but that’s not necessary with a good plan.

Personal transportation is extremely important in our society. I have been in bad situations because my only vehicle broke down and I had no extra money to have it repaired. Relying on other people to get to work and school can be very stressing. I was determined not to let that happen again. I set aside $300 for small emergencies and the last time I needed work done on my vehicle I didn’t have to worry about how or when. I fixed the problem immediately because I was prepared.

Food is another essential part of our life. My wife, Patricia, had to have unexpected surgery in May, 2006. I took her to the Murray County Memorial emergency room for stomach pains. She didn’t come back home for more that a month. I had to work, take care of our daughters, pay bills, and do all the day-to-day things while driving back and forth to Erlanger hospital. One thing I didn’t have to do was spend time buying groceries. At that time, I had two months of food stored in the house. I was so busy and exhausted, I was grateful for not having to worry about grocery shopping.

Years ago I was stuck at home with no power due to a severe ice storm; everyone in my area was in the same shape. Many people couldn’t leave their homes for sometime because of the road conditions. The only food Patricia and I had was what we had in the pantry, which wasn’t much. We had no heat source and only a few candles. I felt destitute and angry for not being better prepared. Luckily, we had good neighbors who took care of us until the world returned to normal. How relaxed I would have been with a portable heater and fuel, flashlights and batteries, and sufficient food in the pantry.

We plan vacations, weddings, and surprise birthday parties, but life is unpredictable. It makes sense to plan for the unexpected. I think being prepared is something that concerns everyone. It takes a little effort and a little planning, but the peace that comes with being prepared is definitely worth it.