Once I Love you, You are protected for Life

Suzanne - Detroit, Michigan

Once I Love you, you are protected for life

My nephew Connor took me to Pre School as his “show and tell” at age 4. While at recess another youngster came at Connor with this huge tree limb. I gently but firmly took the limb from him and said” If you ever hurt Connor you will have to deal with me”. It was a feeling that stayed with me. Connor is now 17, over 6 ft tall and while a gentle spirit can take care of himself. This does illustrate how my protective love of my daughter, grand daughter, eleven nieces and nephews, adopted kids, Drew, Lamont and LaShawna, Sam and Abe, etc is a protective love. Don’t mess with them.

I demand respect from the kids in my life and in return respect and support them. “Always seek out the lonely kid on the playground”, “Try and smile and say Hello to everyone”, ask Rachel my daughter how often she has heard those lines.

Messages I sometime forget myself but am reminded by Emeline my granddaughter when she smiles and waves at the elder in the grocery store.

I have been described as “crusty”. Recently my sister told me she is afraid of me. Growing up I developed some survival techniques, a sense of humor, a tough outer edge,

fear of conflict resulting in the fight or flight approach. I am working on these flaws in therapy. But I will continue to love these kids in my life for the rest of my life and keep them safe from the tree limbs. Maybe I can learn something from them too.

For this is what I believe.