Let’s Be Optimistic

Andrew - Plano, Texas

August 13, 2007 was one of the most life changing days in my short eighteen years. This was the day I lacerated my spleen playing football the very first day of practice at Plano Senior High. The very first play too, actually. Little did I know at the time, but my entire senior season was gone. A lost hope. A season-full of timeless memories with my teammates, all gone. I was left seemingly normal on the outside but shattered on the inside. Physically, mentally, and emotionally crushed. The injury started to consume every waking second of my day. Of course the questions I always asked were Why me? and What if? and occasionally others, too. After the initial shock had left me, I made an important choice. I am going to stop moping around and pitying myself and instead begin to be positive and an important leader for my team and classmates.

Optimism is the key to happiness. I have never known an optimistic person who does not enjoy life nor have I known someone to enjoy life who does not look for the best in all situations. Webster’s dictionary defines optimism as the tendency to take the most hopeful or cheerful view of matters or to expect the best outcome. As hard as it might be sometimes, this is how I try and lead my life. It is part of my purpose here on this earth. I believe my reason for living is for God, first of all, and one way to live my life for him is to have a positive impact on the people in my life. I try to always smile throughout the day, whether I am around my peers or even when I am alone at my house or in the car. Not a fake smile, but a genuine smirk that shows off my shiny whites. Another thing I try to do is avoid negative conversation. Many times in high school, kids like to sit around and bash other students or adults. Half of the time whatever the students are accusing their peer of doing they are guilty of themselves. I’m not sure if it is simply because they are bored or if it is because they have to make themselves feel better about their actions. The more a person takes part in negative situations like this, the more pessimistic they become. I am one to believe that society can definitely tell whether a person is a positive or negative influence by spending very little time around an individual. One’s attitude directly affects how he or she impacts people. Do people want to remember me because I was an encouraging human being or forget about me because I am a nuisance? I want to be a more optimistic person because I believe this is how I can make the world a better place.