It’s Okay to be Alone

Morgan - Wilbraham, Massachusetts

It’s Okay to be Alone

In all aspects of life -school, work, living in the real world, religion always seems to play a big part. So much time, money, and energy goes into guaranteeing that all may worship their god or gods freely. How much simpler the world would be without the concept of religion…or would it? Personally, I believe that god is a figment of our imaginations; something that is placed there for comfort and blame. Today, we have science to explain all those things we never understood before. Long ago, the Greeks had gods much like our own to explain what they did not understand. Today, we refer to these gods as mythology, but what actually makes those gods a myth and our god today so real? In actuality, we haven’t come any closer to proving religion factual than the Greeks did. They used the gods to explain why certain events occurred as do we. Could it be we employ a god for our own benefit, to take punches for us and a shoulder to cry on?

When 9/11 happened I was only 12 years old but I had a strong connection to the Towers. My brother lives in Manhattan and he’s taken me to them on many occasions. I can recall placing my hands on the cool glass window of one Tower and looking all the way to the top, admiring its sleek, bold frame. The World Trade Center was my definition of Manhattan; it stood out the tallest in any picture of the NYC skyline. We were informed at school of a “bombing of a building” in New York but weren’t given any details. Unprepared to what had happened, I walked into my house where my mom sat crying. The television played repeatedly showed the Towers falling, over and over and over. I watched those Towers, my Towers collapse to the ground right before my eyes and all I could ask was where was god now?

I blamed god for most things after this. I didn’t understand why a being so powerful would let horrible things happen to me. Had I done something wrong? Growing up, I realize this is a selfish notion. I don’t think god would take all the time out of his day to make my life worse. I’ve decided God is more for those who couldn’t grow up, those who needed something there to cushion their everyday battles. I find it harder to get through the day with a god, someone for me to hate. I’ve accepted that sometimes things just happen and I feel better thinking that I may have the control, not god. Religion has a great power; people fight and die for it, give hundreds of dollars, and are even disbelieving in both the science that proves against it and the mistakes made by the church. Although beliefs in god are said to hold hope, I still have hope with no religion in my life.