Jon - Hoffman Estates, Illinois

I believe that transcendence of one’s self is the everyday reality of one who is in a constant state of mental expansion.

An individual who has the ability to lock beyond the present order into a new one is inherently free from the restrictions (at least internally imposed ones), and thus, has the inborn status of transcendence—this individual is constantly above the status quo, always above the standard way of thinking—always looking forward and above instead of behind.

I must add, however, that I believe this transcendence can only occur with a proper understanding of the past—the past cannot be completely forsaken. As the foundation of the future, I believe the past is a necessary component—one that must be recognized at risk of building an inappropriate structure over the given past.

Thus, it will always be my goal to expand my mind—into civilization’s past as well as investing it in the future of civilization. I believe it is my responsibility to humankind to pursue this goal, as individual expansion necessarily means expansion in the macro sense (just see Isaac Newton’s Third Law of Motion that says each action has an equal and opposite reaction—there is necessarily a reaction to each action an individual makes—thus, positive actions will move the world along in a positive direction).

These beliefs have come about as a direct result of my teachers’ collective influence—their classes have inspired me to think beyond any level I would have thought possible coming into their respective classes and have allowed me to experience this feeling of transcendence by introducing me to concepts then letting me loose to analyze, criticize, or praise. This intellectual freedom makes all the difference in the expansion of a human mind—there cannot be true transcendence when one is forced to live in a constrained educational world—they need to be exposed to a truly academic environment. Education is simply not good enough—there needs to be an element of thought involved. My teachers have conveyed this idea through their lectures, their discussions, and the way they handle their respective classrooms. Through experience, I have to agree that the expansion of thought that these teachers make possible has granted me the greatest happiness, as well as opening my mind to further knowledge—they have shown me that the pursuit of knowledge is a paramount experience, and have brought about my beliefs on the transcendent nature of intellectual growth by giving me exposure to true intellectual discussions and writings—transcendence Is imminent when components of it are simply so exciting.