God is in Control

Darryn Ricardo - Tegucigalpa, Honduras

God is in Control

I believe that God is in control. He always knows what is best for us in life, and that is a wonderful thing. Personally, he is the greatest thing that has happened in my life, and I consider every moment in his presence a unique opportunity to become a better person. The thing is that it can take us a while to realize that our lives are not really our own. Our lives are owned by God; therefore, everything that we have and everything that happens to us, every problem, every “Goliath” as I usually call it, is not meant for us to solve, what should really happen is that God solves the problem by using us and guiding us to find the correct solution in God’s eyes.

For most of my life as a teenager, I have had this idea in my head of how my life in reality is based on this allegory that I have created of a hallway with doors to my right and doors to my left. Sometimes or most of the time, we try to force the locks and get into the room using our own strength. Ironically we can somehow get into the room but then we figure out that the thing for which we were so excited, may not immidiately but later on result in our biggest mistake, our worst decision. That is why God is in control; he is the only one that has the keys to open the doors, and he is the only one who knows what is inside of each room. What we should do is call for him and see if he has the key that will open the room that we want to go in. Most of the time he doesn’t have the key for the room that we want to go in, but he has another room for us and maybe we don´t know how the room is, but what I’m sure about is that it will be the best room of the hall way!!!

Four or five months ago, I applied for a scholarship, just to see what would happen . I remember that I was sure that I was going to study medicine here, and my mom told me that she didn’t have the money to pay for college in the States. One day I recieved an email saying that I had advanced to the next step of the scholarship and that I had to send some papers. The funny thing is that I didn’t give that importance, because I thought that I would never win a scholarship. Then they told me that I couldn’t send the papers because the date had passed. That didn’t affect me at all, but a week later I went to a retreat where I had the opportunity to talk to my classmates about my relationship with God and how he had come into my life. That day many of my classmates where blessed with my words and at the same time God blessed me because in that place there where two people that had won that scholarship and they decided to help me turn in those papers although they were late. To make the short story, I won the scholarship, but it is not winning the scholarship, which is important. The important thing is how God opens doors in places where you don’t think he has the key. The door that I thought was closed for me, God came and opened. Like I said, the scholarship is not what is most important for me; I see it as a tool that God gave me to do something wonderful with. With this tool that God gave me he will keep opening doors that I thought were closed.

I believe that God is in control of my life. God is in control of my problems; my decisions, God is in control of my life. Like I said we are not perfect: life is difficult, our flesh is weak, we will fall countless times, but God will help us get up and no matter what we do wrong, He will keep opening doors, and each door will be better than the next one. Is God in control of your life?