Hollywood Endings

Kimberly - Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Rain pours down on her skin as she stands, drenched on the dark, New York streets. He grabs her shoulders tightly, in a way that only means he is about to kiss her. As he declares his love for her and they share that long, perfect kiss, the background slowly fades and two simple words appear in elegant cursive across the screen. The End. I believe movies are a reflection of what life can be like for those who trust in happy endings. I believe that everyone deserves a Hollywood kiss at the end of their story, not just Audrey Hepburn and Sarah Jessica Parker.

When I was younger, my childhood teachers would always pose a ‘what do you want to be when you grow up?’ type of question. Most of my classmates would shoot their small hands into the air and share stories of wanting to be pilots or astronauts, teachers or firemen. Eventually, my turn would come and I would share my biggest dream with the class. In my little saddle shoes and jean jumper, I would smile my toothless smile and say, “I want to be Dorothy when I grow up.” My teachers always smiled politely and giggled under their breath, sharing with the other seven year olds that Dorothy was in The Wizard of Oz, and that I wanted to be an actress. Each time a teacher assumed I wanted to be an actress, I would correct them and explain that no, I wanted to be Dorothy, not just an actress.

With their eloquent speech and lady like mannerisms, I have always wanted to be like those classic, black and white characters, not because of their fame, but because of the last few moments before the credits roll. Those fictional women all end up satisfied, truly happy, and no matter what they go through in those two hours of film, everything is solved by the end. Endings full of cured illness and true love are possible for every one of us to obtain.

Although some see it childish for a seventeen year old to be basing life off of movies, I see it as hopeful, and where there is hope, all things are possible. Now, I know what is real from what is fiction; I am not one to go about my daily business pretending Jedis and fairies are real. I do, however, learn a lot about who I want to be from characters like Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and Carrie Bradshaw from the television show Sex and the City. Dancing through life without worries, Holly Golightly is a character that seems to be a bit flakey and careless in the beginning. She states that she doesn’t want to own anything until she finds a place where she and things go together. As the movie progresses, she comes face to face with her biggest fear, commitment, and risks her happy ending for her carefree lifestyle. Eventually, her fear of settling down and belonging shatters and she is able to let love in and live happily ever after. I trust that every human being deserves and can live his own happy ending if he overcomes his fears and gets through the tough times in life.

The characters that actors like Audrey Hepburn and Sarah Jessica Parker have captured on film have beautiful, strong personalities that should be admired. From her quirky, loud personality to her love for shoes and writing, Carrie Bradshaw is a dominant female on HBO; although not in the same league as Audrey Hepburn and Judy Garland’s classic films, Sex and the City shows the same, ideal ending to each episode. Each character ends up satisfied in the end; everything they have gone through turns out to be worth it. Infamous characters overcome disease, hate, lust, and fear, as well as huge battles and struggles that continue throughout the film; no matter what, the image audiences are left with is one of a smiling face and full heart.

Real people deserve endings where their best friends are cured of cancer, where they finally fall in love, where they finally are able to have a baby after trying for years. Characters like Dorothy, Carrie Bradshaw, and Holly Golightly have shaped the way I see the world and how I live day to day. Ever since I was a little girl in my very own sparkling ruby red slippers, I have watched and wished for the fulfillment that radiates from my television each time I watch a classic movie and I have grown up trusting that these endings are possible for regular people like me.

I believe in Hollywood endings for everyone. I believe that every human being deserves his or her own fulfillment in life and deserves to end up happy. Through all the struggles I have experienced, I believe that I can one day live a life full of satisfaction and completeness. Things like divorce happen. Death, disease, and stress are going to challenge us as humans on a daily basis. However, if we as humans have the strength to fight through the tough times and reach for our goals, I believe we can end up with all of our dreams at our fingertips. Endings filled with smiling faces, miracles, and rain kisses are waiting at the end of each of our stories, and I truly believe we deserve them.