Thus I Say…

Robyn - Minneapolis, Minnesota

Inspiration to do your best can come from the simplest things; from a friend, a song, or even school. It can also come from you inner being; from your mind, your heart, from your soul. No matter what you believe in, do what you love; love what you do.

From the moment I could walk, I wanted to move. I wanted to step in time to the music. I wanted to dance. When I was little, I’d put on ballets for my parents. Using dress-up clothes, Tchaikovsky, and some creativity, I realized that this was my passion. And ever since then, I’ve worked hard for what I love.

There are some people who give up way to easily. It’s as though they don’t understand or hear what they are saying. Through my years of dancing, there have always been the girls who have it all. They have great technique, are extremely flexible, and are adored by the teachers. Yet, somehow they aren’t satisfied. Notice how there is also always the girl who stands in the corner feeling sorry for herself. I have to wonder why one unlucky one who truly loves something, can’t do it because there is an obstacle in the way. If people could just move past that last hurdle, they would win the race. John Wooden, UCLA’s basketball coach once said, “Do not let what you CANNOT do interfere with what you CAN do.”

Famous men and women of our history have fought for what they believe in and love. They did it even if it wasn’t considered proper or right. For instance, Jane Austen was a fantastic writer. Her books are still celebrated classics that have stayed alive for years. During her lifetime, it was not a woman’s place to have an educated practice. It was thought that the gender should tend to the house, entertain guests, and be a good mother. Never did the thought strike the minds of many that someone like Jane could be an amazing author. It just goes to show that you should jump that hurdle.

To complete that goal, you’ve got to persevere, have faith, hope, take risks, dream until you get what you want. Thus I say, do what you love; love what you do. This, I believe.