I Believe That the People Who Put Down the Disabled are the Disabled

Jennifer - Davenport, Iowa

All my life I grew up in a home where everybody was created equal. Once I got to high school, I realized that not everybody was brought up that way.

I had never heard of “natural selection” or “survival of the fittest” until I was in my teens, and quite frankly, I don’t agree with either one. Just because someone is mentally or physically challenged doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to live. They are just like the able-bodied. In fact, they may be better, because they don’t put people down. Honestly, the disabled are some of the nicest people I have ever met. They are always saying please and thank you or signing and smiling.

When I worked at a local grocery store, my favorite, most polite customer just happened to be severely handicapped. Every Tuesday he would come in with his care-taker and two other handicapped men. These three men would clean up after other people who had left a mess on the floor. They would say “hi” to everybody they saw. When they were ready to leave, they would make sure that they all had something to carry, so that each of them could feel important.

One Tuesday night started out just like every other night. Rauel and his three friends were checking out their groceries as they have every other Tuesday night when the person behind them said, “Gosh can’t you retards move any faster?” Rauel and his friends just kept doing what they were doing and acted like they didn’t hear it. I was appalled. After Rauel and his friends left, I asked the customer why he said that. He simply said, “They don’t deserve to have my air.” I honestly didn’t know what to say so I just started his order and thought about it for a while. When he was getting ready to leave I said, “Did you really mean that?” He reiterated that they don’t deserve to be on this earth. I told him that the disabled are just as valuable as he is. The man angrily walked off.

As he left, I realized that his handicap was much more debilitating than my friend Rauel’s