Value Your Toilet-Gold Plated or Otherwise

Emma - York, Pennsylvania

Value Your Toilet-¬¬¬¬¬¬¬Gold Plated Or Otherwise

I believe in making the most of what you’ve got.

Making the most of what you’ve got is about being happy with who you are and how you live. I believe that true happiness doesn’t come from being disgustingly rich and famous. When you are content with yourself and your belongings, that is when you are truly happy. I’m sure you will recognize this line from a song: “The best, best things in life are free.” by Sam Cooke. No offense to him, but I disagree. Happiness can be bought on a small scale, since a few material possessions give us happiness. But when you start wishing for things like designer bags or gold-plated toilets, that’s when you’re not making the most of what you’ve got.

Another part of making the most of what you’ve got is living each day to the fullest. A quote by Mahatma Gandhi definitely illustrates this idea: “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” It’s hard to live like that; believe me, I know. But I think it’s worth a try. You don’t want to be on your deathbed and wishing you had tried that pickled tulip or ridden that star-scraping roller coaster, do you? Neither do I. I’m making it my mission to try to do everything, and live my days to their fullest.

One of the things that I believe is the epitome of making the most of what you’ve got is the theme of “RENT”. “RENT” is the musical story of a group of bohemians in NYC struggling with HIV/AIDS, making their diverse forms of art, and paying last year’s rent. There are many strains of song that are repeated throughout the musical, but the one I took to heart is: “There’s only us/There’s only this/No day but today.” Each character embodies this in their own way, different as they may be. But what many fans don’t know is that “RENT” is a tribute of writer Jonathan Larson to the friends he lost in the HIV/AIDS epidemic of the 1980’s. Jonathan Larson was a phenomenal composer. With his rewrite of La Boheme, he struck gold. Mr. Larson’s lifestyle was very simple, and I admire his perseverance throughout his difficulties. He let nothing stop him from doing what he loved: writing music. I can only imagine how difficult it was to keep a cheerful outcome on life while living the way he did. Unfortunately, Jonathan Larson died of an aortic aneurysm the very day before “RENT”s opening performance. When I was watching his documentary, I discovered that I would not want to die unexpectedly as he did without doing what I have dreamed of. That way of thinking is slightly morbid, I know, but with that in mind, I developed my new personal motto: make the most of what you’ve got.

In short, you only have this life. I think you should make the most of it. I believe you should value your toilet, no matter what finish.