My view of a hero.

Delaney - El Paso, Texas

My View of a Hero

My hero is definitely my dad. He has done so much, not only for me, but also for all of America. Growing up, my dad was in a Special Operations unit stationed at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. His job always kept him on the road, so I never really grew to know him. Because we lived on a military base, this was the norm, so I never knew that this was a strange way to bring up a family and it never bothered me. My parents divorced when I was four and this changed the way I saw everything.

This new life was very different and even more distant from my father because I only saw him on weekends and during the summer. I was always kind of uncomfortable on the trips during the summer because I was away from my mom for the longer than ever before but I eventually became accustomed to the visits. One summer, I realized that I looked at my dad differently than I had before. He was more than the guy that took us cool places during the summer and popped into town at my own and my brother’s birthdays. He was a father. Willing to help me study my multiplication flashcards and teach me to respect people. He was the strict father that taught me how to live my life in a way that would make me successful, but he was also the awesome dad that would take me around his hometown and teach me to drive. I realized that he truly was my hero.

I began to think about what my dad consisted of. He was the small town, country boy from Wisconsin. Then he was the bus boy/manager/architectural student in Madison. Then he was the newly enlisted Army guy struggling to succeed. Then he was a pilot meeting my mother. Then he was a young father who was never home to see his family. Then he was the guy whose wife left him and took his kids. Then he was the single father surviving on canned soup and ramen during the week and living to pick up is kids on Friday after school so he could spend time with them. This was the father I wanted.

After a few years, my mom remarried, but the marriage only lasted about eleven months. After that, she began to date, but I was opposed to the idea. She found a guy that she got serious with, but I wasn’t comfortable with it. I ended up living with my dad in El Paso. Every minute from the time he told me I would be staying to right now, he has been nothing but supportive. He has been ready to help me with homework, ready to guide me down the right path, and always available to be my hero.