What a Father Can Do.

Emily - Hancock, Maine

Growing up I was daddy’s girl. If my dad told me no, all I had to do was cry and he would cave in. He took me everywhere, even places that girls where not found, like digging clams and fishing. My dad was always protective of me when I was younger but as I grew older my dad became more protective of me, and I despised it. I wasn’t allowed to do much, so I started rebelling and not talking to him or just being mean to him for no reason. It wasn’t the best choice I had but it was the only one that I could think of to get him to understand that I was growing, and the opportunities I had in life were growing, but I wasn’t allowed to get on board.

Life was miserable, I thought it couldn’t get any worse, I was a teenager and wasn’t even allowed to stay home alone. That was about to change, a couple days after my 15th birthday, my mom informed everyone that she would be leaving for awhile. She headed to Portland and for six months she never looked back. I heard from her a couple of times, but conversations consisted of fighting, screaming and yelling. I thought that I had no where to turn, but I was incorrect.

The person that I had tried to push away for the last year was there and was fighting to hold on to me. He was there for me whenever I needed him, he even took time off from work for a month so he could be there whenever his children needed him. My dad was there to hold me at night while I was bawling my eyes, and he used a phrase that he should have copyrighted because he used it frequently, “It can always get worse.” I remember one conversation we had, it was late on a school night, I couldn’t sleep, my mom and I had gotten into an argument earlier in the day and I hung up in the middle of it. My dad told me that he loved me and said this to me, “Emily remember you have to live your life, don’t wait on anybody, don’t let anyone hold you back, do what you think will help you, or just what you want to do, because you have to learn from life or else you didn’t live it, but remember no matter what I will be there for you, that’ll never change.”

I will never forget this because my dad has let me live my life in the last 6 months more than I could ever thank him for, by allowing me to act like a teenager and take responsibilities. He has been there for me, no matter what. I love my dad, and I only wish he could know how much I look up to him, and that is why I believe that a father is the best gift a girl can have.