Hard Work Pays Off

Alexis - Robinson, Texas
Themes: work

When you practice, work hard, or just flat out do the work to become good at something. It will pay off in the end, but it will probably take some time, it won’t come easy. You’ll have to practice a lot, even when all of your friends are out having fun on weekends, and you’re stuck in a smelly gym.

An example of this is in college and professional sports. When ever I watch a game I always hear either a coach or the commentators talking about the best player in their team. And how he/she is always doing their best to work in the off-season or being the first one to practice and the last one to leave. Sometimes they just talk about how they are always improving their game. Also, usually the team with the best off-season work out’s get close to winning the championship game.

My parents taught me to work for what I want. So, if I wanted to be better at something I would have to work for it. I used to play against my uncle; he’s seven years older than me, in everything: basketball, football, soccer, baseball, video games, and even wrestling. He would always beat me, but he would murder me in basketball. I’m the worst loser ever; I just hate losing. So, I started practicing basketball with my dad on the weekends to try and beat my uncle. I never really beat him, but I got really close. The last game we played, he only beat me my one point. He told me, “If you keep on practicing, you’ll end up beating me. You’ll probably be better than me.” I know he doesn’t know how much that meant to me. Just to hear those words coming out of his mouth made me feel like I had accomplished something huge. After that I knew that if I wanted something I can get it, no matter if it seems impossible. It would just take a little time and a lot of hard work.

One year during summer break, I was with my dad. I asked him earlier in the week if I could go with my friends on Saturday. Instead he woke me up at five in the morning, and told me to ready to work out. We worked out and practiced basketball from 6 A.M. to 3 P.M. with breaks in between. That was the hardest work out I’ve ever did. That’s how my summer break went; every other day I worked out, but all of the sweat and pain will pay off. That year was the best basketball I ever played.

This is how I cane to believe that if you work hard, practice, or just flat out do the work. Even when all your friends are out having fun, and you are in a smelly gym sweating harder than you ever sweated before. All of that will pay off. This is important to me because if I want something I know that it won’t just appear whenever I want it to. I have to work for it. It has affected me by letting me know that stuff doesn’t come easy all the time.