Finding True Hope

Shelby - Robinson, Texas
Themes: hope

Hope. The word is simple enough, but the meaning behind it and the power it holds is anything but simple. I believe in hope for others and the power hope holds.

Although I have always believed in hope, it took me quite awhile to figure out exactly where hope stood in my heart. Some ordinary schoolwork in shocked me into what hope really is. These few simple school assignments made me begin to realize how so many people throughout history did everything in their power to reach their goals or hopes because they felt so strongly about them.

In June of 2007, my mom, a woman I believed was unconquerable, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The horror of the unexpected announcement didn’t end there; I decided to do some research. “The chance of pancreatic cancer patient survival time is less than a year, and the 5-year survival rate is less than 5%,” my computer’s big bold letters spelled out in wrenching devastation.

I felt so much despair and pain for those with diseases that were ultimately fatal, but soon it dawned on me that being pessimistic wasn’t going to accomplish anything. Hope was just lurking in the darkness, waiting for me to find its shining light within the despair that surrounded my life.

I have always had hope, but those hopes were for an A on my test or for a 6-minute mile in the track meet. That’s not true hope to me. Those hopes were for myself and even after my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I hoped that she would get better for me and for my sake. I selfishly hoped for something, anything that would help my mom see me grow up. I feel horrible because I didn’t even think about how this was affecting her life, only the way it was affecting mine.

I found true hope, the hope for others. My family looked grimly upon the situation, but this gave me hope. This newfound hope made me see the brighter side of things, and this hope seemed somehow to protect me from my worst fears. Obviously I would have bad days where no light shined and the darkness of the inevitable was everywhere, but then I would think about my newfound hope, and the sun would soon shine again on my once downcast day.

Hope is a powerful word, not just a silent prayer for my desires to be granted. Hope is a gallant warrior defending me from all of the despair in the word. Hope brings optimism into dreary days, and forces me to realize that despite all of the bad things in the world, everything will be alright. Hope is in my mind and soul, and nothing will ever break its bonds that strengthen the basis of my life. My selfish wants for myself and no one else left me with guilt, but that deceivable hope for myself no longer resides inside of me. Instead it is the hope for others. This I believe.