Men and Woman

Megan - wilbraham, Massachusetts

Slut. Whore. Easy. These are some of the names you hear and maybe even say everyday without thinking anything of it. Not only do you hear these awful words from men, but you can find women saying them as well. Once you are called some form of those names, it feels like your life has stopped. How can someone call you something so hurtful and untrue?

The way we live today has changed, but there are still problems with the way women are treated when it comes to sex. Women who have sex tend to receive a bad reputation compared to men who also have intercourse. I believe women should not receive lower respect due to their sexual behaviors. I believe this because it is a true fact men don’t get treated like women do. Men tend to receive a pat on the back when they tell their buddies about their crazy time they had the night before, but when women talk about their crazy night they end up getting called names for what they have don’t. How is this fair?

The media plays an enormous role in the way we act towards women and men. The “bad boys” of Hollywood have a tendency of being considered “cool” when the paparazzi photograph them with different girl each night. However, when the “bad girls” of Hollywood are talked about in the media they don’t receive treatment the same as men. Famous women singers Christina Aguilera and Lil Kim realized the same thing I did:

If you look back in history

It’s a common double standard of society

The guy gets all the glory the more he can score

While the girl can do the same and yet you call her a whore

I don’t understand why it’s okay

The guy can get away with it the girl gets named

This type of activity is not only taking place in the media, but also in the hallways of schools everywhere. There are many times where I have heard people talk about a girl in an awful way because of her sexual activity. The way women are treated at this point in time is going to play a huge roll in the way women get treated in the future. Women deserve as much respect as men receive and hopefully there will be a time where this may happen.

Over a certain amount of time, you would think that women are treated differently; well they aren’t. This is really a sad factor because what if we never change how we are towards woman. I feel that for not only women to respect other women, men need to respect woman as well. Men should respect women more than just thinking about them as an object for fun. If women can receive this, then I believe the world will evolve into something really great.

Consider this. If we treat women the same way people treat men when they have sex, then the lives of women will be less hurtful.