The Love that saved me

Ashley - Riverton, Utah

“I just want what’s best for you”. Most parents say that to their kids because in all honesty, they really do want what’s best for you. I believe that there is no greater love in this world then the love you share with your mom and dad.

Growing up I never heard that from my mom or dad, but now that I’m a teenager, it’s all I ever hear. I think that once you’re a teenager, your parents really lock down on you and involve themselves in your life. My mom and I went through a really tough time. I was making bad choices and she was trying to interfere in my life and with my decisions. My mom and I were always fighting. We stopped telling eachother “I love you” but started saying “I hate you”. I was living in this fantasy world that consisted of sneaking out of my house, partying, ditching school, and ignoring my family.

I always thought my mom was ruining my life. It took me a long time to realize, but the whole time all that was happening, my mom was the only true friend I had. All my other friends were so drawn into those things, none of them ever told me to stop because it was wrong, but they would tell me to keep doing these things because they are fun and there was nothing wrong with it, but in reality they are wrong. The night my little “fantasy world” came crashing down was the night I saw and heard my mom crying because of who I was becoming and what I was doing. She blamed herself, calling herself a horrible mother, just crying and crying. It broke my heart. It wasn’t my moms fault at all, it was all mine and at that moment I hated myself for doing that to her.

After seeing and hearing that I wanted to change. To me, nothing in this world means more to me then my family, and I was so selfish to hurt them and push them out of my life, especially my mom. I lost a lot of friends by walking away from that stuff, but I didn’t loose my best and only true friend, my mom.

I believe there is no greater love in this world then the love you share with your mom or dad. My mom saved me. I was going downhill, but she never gave up on me.

Teens are constantly pushing away their parents and thinking they’re ruining their lives, but they aren’t.

I’m thankful for my parents and I’m thankful for their love. If there’s one lesson I learned from this, it’s to be grateful for your family, never push them away and allow their thoughts and love to impact your life. I’m still growing up and still have a lot to learn, but as long as I have my family’s love I’ll be just fine.