Betty Sue

Jonathan - Sandy, Utah

Betty Sue.

Go turn on your stereo, and listen to your favorite song. Can you feel the emotion of the artist? Not by his or her poetic lyrics, but by the beat, rhythm, and pattern of the music?

For as long as I can remember music has been my passion. From my first C.D. “Saturday Morning Cartoons” (a compilation of 90’s bands covering theme songs of their favorite cartoons). Up to my latest purchase “Everything You Need” by Slightly Stoopid (a Reggae-dub-punk band). Music has always been my escape.

Like most kids growing up I had dreams of becoming the worlds next big rock star, being on that 15-foot-high stage, with thousands of fans there to support me. Like many aspiring Rock stars, I was a few feet and a couple hundred singing lessons short of my dream, though that never stopped me from hoping. You see I figured hey if I can at least think of a good message and make up a jumble of, rhyming, words, I’ll at least have a start. That was not as easy as I had expected, for one thing I could not think of a message that was original. I also could not find the right words for my message. I have always, and will always be horrible with words. I had given up on my hopes of singing, but I refused to give up on music.

A few years later I would find myself driving in the car with some friends, blaring Sublime, when the song, Santaria came on. My friends and I all started our own self-defying, sing-a-long when I found something peculiar happened. Bradley Nowells poetic genius had stopped and the guitar solo came ripping through the ears yet no ones mouths shut. Everyone in the car did their best impersonation of the solo, and no one missed a note. During the time of the solo, I thought to myself how great the feeling was. How cool it must be for people world wide to recognize a solo you wrote.

I couldn’t tell you exactly when, but some time that day, I realized that there is a lot more to songs than lyrics. In every song there is a musical mastermind producing a masterpiece. I felt that music could show the feelings of anyone through more than words.

Fast forward again, I now play rhythm guitar in the band Heroes of Fiction. I now know my place in music isn’t behind a microphone, but behind a 1999 Ibanez F-cut Artcore guitar, promptly named Betty Sue. Every time we have band practice I show them my latest riff and without asking, they write lyrics that seem to fit perfectly.

So I believe that music is more than noise and words. I believe that music is pure emotion and raw passion but most of all I believe that music is my way of talking to the world without ever saying a word.