A New America

Melissa - West Jordan, Utah

A New America

There is one thing in America today that is bigger that the war, bigger than terrorism and even bigger than catastrophes. Those are all terrible tragedies that happen every now and then. But there is a problem that all of America faces each and every day. And that is the fact that America is so unwelcoming of different skin colors, races, religions, body types and even where you live. I believe in equality.

There are many reasons why people would also agree with me on this issue. Whether you are the only black student in an all white school, or the only white girl on a playground full of black children. And you think to yourself why are they giggling and staring at me? The reason for me believing this is so simple, it’s just wrong and more importantly a disgrace. We live in The United States of America. And that’s what we should be; united. We should love, accept and believe in everyone regardless of any silly imperfections or differences. I am a white female and one of my best friends is from Chile. I accept her for who she is. She speaks a different language than I do, eats different foods and listens to music I have never heard before, much less understand. And that is what makes her beautiful and unique.

One of my greatest heroes is Martin Luther King Jr. He knew what was right and fair from the beginning. He also knew that changes needed to be made, because our country was headed for disaster. He was so passionate about his beliefs, he was willing to die for them, and he did. In one of his many famous speeches he said, “One day I hope that little white girls and little black girls can walk down any street holding hands together.” Unfortunately, that is still looked upon as wrong, and not the American way. I think that anyone can hold hands with anyone and have the right to do that and not be persecuted for it.

Inequality and unfairness has been going on for as long as mankind has been walking this earth. It has become better over the years, but is not at the point where it should be. I believe everyone is equal, and it is about time we all realize this. I think the best way to resolve this problem would be for everyone each day to make an effort to accept someone else. Don’t let an accent or different hairstyle inhibit you from meeting someone new. Who knows, that person may be just as willing to meet you.