Ana Marcela - Honduras

I believe that a real friend takes me by the hand and touches my heart. I always thought that friendship was a beautiful gift given to us at birth. Our parents teach us to be kind and loyal to others. So each time we grow up we keep this in mind, and as we meet new people, sometimes good friendships are born. For this reason, I always consider myself a good friend, although I am not perfect and I can be insensitive and clumsy sometimes. However, I have a lot of friends that I consider real and close to me, friends that were there to support me in good and bad times. On the other hand, I did have some deceptions in the past. People whom I thought were my friends harmed me in a shameful way.

There was once dinners where I sat between two guys who, I consider my best friends. I thought that since we did not spend much time together maybe a dinner will compensate for lost times. When I reached the table I said “hi” to them; they acted so differently and looked at me as if I was some kind of stranger. Of course I ignored their countenances and thought they were joking, but as soon as I sat with them, I felt lonely and ignored. I ask myself why they were like that. Why didn’t they ask me if I was fine or not? I was really concerned about their attitude, so I tried to start a conversation, but it was a failure. Then they stood up and left to get their food without saying anything to me. They left me at the table, so I tried to follow them, but then I felt like a fool.

That could be the end of this particular story, but no something good came out of it. As I was standing in the line to pick up my dinner, I burst into tears. The only person that was standing in front of me was a long time friend. I told this person what had happened back at the restaurant. She just stayed with me and listened attentively to what I was telling her. But that is not all, many of my friends were concerned that I was sad, so they tried to cheer me up. It worked! I felt so happy and I thanked God above for giving me good friends. Everyone told me that I should not feel sad because I was a cheerful person and that I look prettier when I smile. Those are the kind of things that touch my heart and that make me realize that there are many people that love me. The rest of the night was full of joy and I totally forgot about the incident with my other two friends.

In life there are calamities and joy that can happen at once. Friendship is something so precious that we all should keep deep in our hearts. Friends are like stars, sometimes you can’t see them, but you know they are there. Every single friend that I have, even if he or she is far away from me, I will always keep my friends in a special place in my heart. In life there will be obstacles on our way to success, but there is nothing that we can’t do with God by our side. Personally I believe a real friend will always hold my hand and show me that love really exist.