Somone’s got to do it!

Christian Arispe - Waco, Texas

Someone’s got to do it!

If I had a dime for every time someone told me I couldn’t do something, I’d be both rich and defeated. Sorry, but that’s not for me! If you look at many of the great leaders of the world, many of them had confidence in themselves. One example of this is the great reverend Martin Luther King. Through his confidence in himself and his passion for a cause, he stood up for what he believed. I, too, have stood up for things in my life. I cannot compare my accomplishment with Martin Luther King, but I can say that I stand up for what is right because I have the confidence to do so.

Self -confidence is something that I believe in very strongly. It is like putting on a uniform that allows me to play the game of life. Without it, I feel empty. It’s a mindset that keeps me positive when things aren’t always going smooth. Confidence comes quietly and humbly from the inside. It’s not something that I feel I need to broadcast to everyone around me. Unfortunately people aren’t always quick to compliment me or boost my confidence. Someone’s got to do it, so it might as well be me.

A question I always ask myself is,” What will my self -confidence bring me in the future? I often think that it could be bad and good. It would be good if I was an athlete, successful business man, or a doctor and many other things. On the other hand I’ll get to thinking, what if I become a terrible leader like Adolf Hitler and start destroying the world. I doubt that will ever happen. I believe my confidence will bring the good side out of me to do what is right.

A few years back, I was at a track meet with many other athletes from different schools. It was at the Baylor track, and it was almost my turn to run the 100 meter race. I had butterflies in my stomach, and I could feel the adrenaline running through my body. Just minutes before the big race began, several of the athletes were talking to me. They told me I didn’t have a chance of winning. I could have easily listened to them and lost the race before it even started. I tried to ignore them and believe in myself. I visualized the win and it happened. I won! The point here is not that I won first place. The point is that I definitely wouldn’t have won first place if I didn’t have the confidence to try. Self-confidence gives me the ability to push myself to higher levels in sports, life, and all that I do.