Richard - Robinson, Texas

I believe killing people is wrong, unless it is done in self defense. Killing people in war and by accident is wrong. It is against the law to kill someone. People shouldn’t be killed just because someone feels the need to kill another person.

When I was about 8 years old, I had heard rumors that someone in my family had been killed. It was my Uncle Paul. I heard everything from suicide to car accident, but in reality it was murder. My dad sat me down and told me what happened. He went to a party late at night and met a girl. He started to dance with her. That’s when her boyfriend showed up. He got furious and grabbed a knife. The lights turned off, and when they came back on, Uncle Paul was on the floor. A knife went through his stomach and he died. It came as a shock to me. I kept on saying, “did this really happen.” The tragedy and pain it caused, taught me one thing. Killing is wrong.

If someone were to ask me would I kill to protect my family, I would say no. Killing is a huge sin. It is against my religion. If I were to kill someone, I would feel like a great wave of guilt came crashing down on me. The same thing goes for war. Evan though I feel the need to protect my country, I would feel frightened to pull or attempt to pull the trigger. The bullets of the gun could hurt and kill a lot of people. Soldiers most likely don’t feel frightened because they have had training. They believe they are doing the right thing by killing other men. They are not because they are killing people that are no different than they are. Killing someone by accident is also a bad thing to do. It means you killed someone by being careless. I would only kill someone in self defense. I would try to fight the other person first, and I would only kill if it was the last possible option. I’d rather not have to deal with all that trouble and the consequences that follow.

In the past years, it has been easier for adults to get access to guns. Even kids are getting access to guns due to careless parents. Last year, there was a student that brought a gun to Virginia Tech. He killed thirty-two people, including himself. After it happened, police found out the gunman was literally crazy in the head. How did he get access to a gun in the first place? It seems to me that as long as people have cash, they can get a gun.

Killing people is a bad thing, unless it is done in self defense. People should think before they do something wrong. It is wrong for people to have access to guns, and kill people with them. We are lucky to have laws that don’t allow the killing of people. That is why I believe killing people is wrong.