Striving for What You Believe in

Ashley - Robinson, Texas

Striving for What You Believe in

Why do people give up? We strive and strive for things we want. People even change things about themselves, like cutting their hair, or changing their style to get what they want. People throw away all of their hard work because they don’t get it the first time they try.

I believe in never giving up until you succeed. If you want something enough, you won’t give up until you get it.

Since I was little, I have always wanted to be a cheerleader. When I went into junior high, I got my chance. When I was in sixth grade, I could try-out to be a cheerleader for when I was in seventh grade. In order to make cheerleader, I had to get a high score from three judges and a high percentage of the student body votes. On the day of try-outs, I became extremely nervous and messed up on my cheer in front of the judges. I did not make cheerleader my sixth grade year. When I tried out my seventh grade year, I did a lot better. Unfortunately, when they announced the new cheerleaders, they did not call my name. It took me a while before I was able to get over not making cheerleader two years in a row.

My eighth grade year, I decided that since I wanted to be a cheerleader so much, I would not give up. I practiced and practiced my cheer. This year, each candidate had to make up their own individual cheer. The day we tried out I was very nervous, but I calmed myself down and was able to do well on my cheer in front of the judges. When they announced the names of the girls who made it, they called my name. Finally, I was a cheerleader. I was very happy; all of my hard work had paid off. My dream of becoming a cheerleader had come true.

The day I found out I made cheerleader, my mom said something that made me feel proud of myself. She said,” I am very proud that you never gave up your dream; very few people will do that. I would have given up after the first time.” That is when I realized that I could do anything I set my mind to. Even though it took me three years to make cheerleader, I would have never made it if I had given up. If I hadn’t made cheerleader this year, I probably would have been very upset. One thing if for sure, I would have not given up. Many people lose their chance at their dreams coming true because they give up. Although your dream may seem impossible, you should not give up. You should stick with your dream and never let go until you succeed, this I believe.