Emily - Hoffman Estates, Illinois

My life has been relatively normal. Well, as normal as an 18 year olds life can get. It was March, and the anxious smell of the end of senior year lingered in the air. I drove to school, stressed out at usual over the essay test I had first period, the up and coming AP tests, and a trillion concerts before the end. I knew that today was going to be interesting.

The major thing that connects her and I was our friends

They were going one way next year, together, and we were going another way. They were branching away, we were branching together. Then she told me about her problem. We were never that close until this year, so when I heard that she possibly could die within the next few years, I was stunned.

“Heaven’s not a place that you go when you die, it’s that moment in life when you actually feel alive…”

It took me a while to feel again. The weight of her words didn’t hit me until later. I never thought of leukemia being an option for her. She is too strong, too tough to let it get her. Why does it have to inhabit her? Dear God, let her live. This disease isn’t bad yet, don’t let it get the opportunity to get bad. I’m not sure what I’d do without her. I prayed the hardest and most heartfelt that I ever had. I believe in the power of prayer.

“…And take this advice, live by every word…”

We’re close. As they drift away, we drift closer. I tell her just about everything. She then said to me one day, “I don’t think I could tell them. They’d treat me differently, and you didn’t” I believe in living life. “Well you’re the same, leukemia or not, you’re still my friend.”

“…Love is completely real so forget anything that you’ve heard…”

She teaches me about life. She is continuing on, living, really living. I believe in life. She taught me to believe.

“…So live for the moment now…”