The Value of Music, The Value of the Arts

Mindy - Palatine, Illinois

I believe in the value of music and art in one’s life. It stuns me the way the arts and music has opened my eyes to the beauty of this world.

I have been involved in the arts since I was very little. At age three, I was in art schools and presenting my own art work in art galleries and shows. At age four, I began piano lessons and was entering competitions a few months later. Three years later, I started taking up the cello and ever since has been my main instrument and profession.

In my early years of studies in art and music, I had no idea why I was spending time practicing and working. I was just doing it because I felt that I had to. It made my parents happy that I was working hard and sometimes I felt unhappy because I had no idea why I was making music. However, through the experiences and performance opportunities that I’ve had during my growth in the arts, I’ve come to realize why I was doing what I was doing. I found a purpose.

What’s amazing about the arts is how they are a universal language. There are no barriers or border lines in music and art. One may go to a foreign country and not know the language of the country, but one can play music or present artwork that will be understood by everyone. Music and art is what can bring people together. When I travel to perform and compete in competitions, I meet many people from different countries and cultures, and through our music we can relate to one another. However, I wish that everyone could be given an equal opportunity to take part in music and the arts.

Recently, I have participated in outreach events to schools that have no support for the arts or have no music classes for their students. In these outreaches, my goal is to target the administrators and government officials to show how important the arts are for the development of a child and student. When I did my first outreach, I was anxious and worried that I may not get much support or the children would not be interested in what I was presenting to them. However, I was proved wrong. I was embraced by their overwhelming interest and their awe for the passion I had for the cello and music. They wanted to take part in what I was doing and experience the thrill in taking part in the arts. I noticed how the teachers were surprised with the students’ reaction to the music and our presentation. I knew that what I was doing could possibly change their situation and possibly open new opportunities for those kids. Therefore, I strongly encourage more teenagers my age to take part in outreaches because I believe they have the power to bring hope to children who don’t have the opportunity to play and learn music.