I believe that hockey is part of my life

Michael - Raleigh, North Carolina
Themes: sports

I Believe that Hockey is part of my Life.

Since the day I was born my whole life revolved around hockey. My parents were two die heart hockey fans that grew up in the capital of Quebec. They grew up with the Quebec Nordiques at the local ice rink. This team was a national hockey league team that played against the greatest of the teams like the Montreal Canadians and Philadelphia Flyers. We all lived in a 15 mile radius including my mom’s and dad’s family. My great aunt wasn’t married she stayed home and took care of her mother, and they lived in house that is at least 100 years old. She would have season tickets back in 1972 for the Montreal Canadians, and go see every game. Sometimes she brought my father with her as well. But throughout the years that I grew up I learned quickly that hockey would soon be part of my life too.

As a baby, the Quebec Nordiques surrounded me even if I didn’t know who they were. I had Nordique pajamas, bibs, hats, and even bottles with their logo. I played with a plastic stick inside, scoring by hitting the puck between the sofas. My father was the first person who put me on skates and sent me on my way to the ice. I learned to skate at age 3 with the help of my dad and grandpa at the local ice rink next to my grandpa’s house. My great aunt would take our whole family out together like a family reunion and we would go see a game. This was one of the many things that I wish I could do again and spend that kind of time with my own family some day. The game was fun, but it was also very serious. When our team lost, disappointment and anger would spread like wild fire through the family, but when they won it would be like they had just won the super bowl. Not only was our family ecstatic but the whole town was joyful and good spirited. Collecting cards, photos, and other memorabilia’s was also very big and anything that was hockey related would be found around our house and especially in my room.

At age five my dream of becoming a famous hockey player soon evaporated like the snow on our lawn in the summer, when my dad accepted a job down in Raleigh, North Carolina. Now my life was completely altered I was put in a recreational league for a soccer team at CASL. Luckily a new hockey team had just been bought from Hartford, and became the Carolina Hurricanes the same year we moved. Hockey had not yet set in for these North Carolinians they were more interested in NASCAR, football, and baseball. When I went to games instead of it being a highlight of the month it was a social fest. The people in the stands were too busy drinking and socializing than looking at the players play. Also the team quite frankly sucked. They were horrible and soon the team moved from Charlotte to where I lived, Raleigh the state capital.

Finally as a growing adolescent I could follow the new developed Nordiques which had been traded to the Colorado Avalanche. After the 2000-2001 season my mind raced with thoughts of playing hockey just like the other kids back home. Then I said hey I want to play hockey. I was soon in a house league with RYHA. Through my years I saw the great Patrick Roy, Dominique Hasek, and Martin Brodeur play, these were the greatest goalies in the NHL. They were all my idols, and that’s when I decided to play goalie. My dad, a hockey player himself, didn’t understand why I would want to play goalie, but he soon say that I was a natural. In my final years of playing hockey my dad was the coach of my hockey team coach. He took me and a bunch of redneck, bada**, and people who couldn’t skate worth a dime, and took us straight to the finals. Now I spend my time watching hockey on TV and the playoffs are another reason for our family to sit down and spend time together. I just hope that one day I can raise a family that loves hockey and have it be as big a part of their life as mine.