Anyone can be Anything

Seth - Jacobus, Pennsylvania

Decisions are like shooting arrows at a target. Hitting the target’s like a good decision because it’s harder but it’s satisfying and makes a shorter walk. Missing’s like a bad decision because it’s easy but it’s not satisfying and makes a longer walk because the arrow zips past the target. I believe anyone has the potential to be what they want to be from the decisions they make.

My life’s a story of this belief. Since my first day of first grade, I feel like I’ve made more good decisions than bad ones. I became friends with people that didn’t try to make me do stupid things that could affect my entire life. I didn’t spend money on things that would last a few days before becoming another “dust collector,” on my shelf. I try to stay social while at the same time keep my grades up and stay athletic, and to keep them balanced by not letting one overpower the other and start to affect it. As I mentioned, making these decisions isn’t easy, but I’m now a straight-A student surrounded by good friends that don’t judge me based on my grades and athletic ability.

However, through these I’ve set a high-standards lifestyle that stresses me out and makes me look towards people that don’t have high expectations on their shoulders. My life’s getting harder to balance out. In first grade, my life was a walk in the park. I was energetic, my work was easy to me, and I easily made friends because everyone in my elementary school knew me. Now I’m in the middle school, where everybody’s given work put “at their level.” I’m not a hyper little kid, either. I’m a more mature teenager. I’ve still made the decision to keep my life the way it is because I know it will pay off in the end and make me successful for the rest of my life.

My older brother’s affected what I have the potential to be. I’m in one of those worlds where there’s a nearly perfect older brother and a less known little brother. Whenever somebody sees me they normally don’t say, “There’s Seth,” they say, “There’s Nate’s brother!” Nate’s better at the three things I mentioned than I am, along with being extremely manipulative. He can talk his way into and out of anything he wants, so he knows what goes on in my life all the time. This it what happens through those things: A teacher or other person gives me a challenge Nate could accomplish but I couldn’t. I completely fail, and Nate learns about it. He puts more pressure on me by telling me I need to improve and get to his level. I get stressed and, not wanting to be him, try to find something to do that will make me more individual. I can’t find anything to make me individual that I enjoy, and people still see me as “Nate’s little brother.” Instead of giving up and stepping in all of Nate’s footprints for the rest of my school career, I still decide to try to find something that will make me split away from him and finally become known as Seth.

So far I have exceptional grades, good friends, and I’m more athletic than half the people I know. My belief’s already proven itself to me on a small scale, and since I’m still making right decisions it will help me and anybody who makes the right decisions turn into anything we want to be.