A Smile Goes a Long Way

Kayla - Windsor, California

When certain things happen to you, they bring moments of clarity, moments where beliefs come to you. I believe that if you smile long enough, no matter what situation you are in, it will bring you happiness.

Bad day does not begin to describe the way I felt; more like the living day from hell. It was almost summer, and I just wanted my freshman year to be over. I had way too much homework, and not nearly enough time to do it, which meant I was behind in my classes. My family was so busy with themselves that I hardly had enough time to say hello to them before they ran off to some new event that left me home alone. The biggest of my problems came from someone I trusted when everyone told me not to, and what my friends suspected would happen, and what I tried to deny eventually happened. I was hurt, and doubting myself constantly. I was extremely tired due to swim practice every night, and hardly eating anymore. My friends tried to relate to my situations, but their sympathy made me feel worse.

Of course I was a mess during school, and my mood carried with me to Swimming practice. Two of my friends, Marissa and Grethe, sensed my distress. Grethe made a joke about Marissa’s always-happy mood, and said, “I bet if you smile a lot Kayla, like Marissa, you will feel better.” I didn’t think it would really work, but Marissa was telling humorous jokes now, and I decided to let myself try. To make a long story short, I had the best practice all season that day. All because I made myself smile until I couldn’t help but think about positive things.

Happiness is an important feeling to have in your life. To just think smiling can bring this bubbly emotion to you is a strong belief I hold to be true, and something I can use forever