Into the Darkness

Rachel - Beachwood, Ohio
Themes: setbacks

I believe that there is always a speck of light to chase in the darkness.I was once told that there is a silver lining to every cloud. I was very little then and although I am still, in the eyes of some, very young I am starting to understand what this means. I am starting to understand what life is about, and I am beginning to realize that maybe, just maybe, I am not a piece in some other players game.

In the middle of sixth grade I moved with my mother and twin sister to Cleveland. I thought that in a few years our family would be situated in Cleveland, and I would fit in fairly well. I guess you could say that I couldn’t have been more wrong, but I think that the statement “I couldn’t have been more wrong” is too much of a cliche. After moving, my life kind of went progressively downhill. On April sixth, my mother and father started the divorce mess. I just happened to be caught in the middle of. Life continued to get worse, my grades started dropping and I altogether stopped turning in my homework, until I realized that I didn’t have to think of my life as some dreadful spiral into eternal darkness. That was just how I decided to view it. I started to think that life was only as good as I make it to be, and at the time I didn’t really view life so well.

I started to find things that I enjoyed, things that could be a little speck of light in this seemingly endless night. Like playing the flute outside on a cool spring morning, or finally landing that double axel that you have been working on for months. Things that make you truly, deeply enjoy life even when it is at it’s worst; These are the silver lining. I always had what I needed. All too often, though, I failed to realize that what I needed was already there. So plunging deeper into the darkness, I found a light.

I believe that in the end light will be all that is left and no one will know what darkness is. Yet I came to see that without the darkness light would not exist. You need one to appreciate the other. In the world, some people are lucky enough not ever to experience pain or suffering, and to those people, I say that you are complete fools. Only when I experience life at its worst can I experience life at its best.

This I believe.