Sherri - Spokane, Washington

I believe in good manners. Ever since I was at a very young age, my parents instilled and insisted upon me to always say “please and thank you” and to always show respect to my elders. So as I have gotten older, actually the older I get, I have noticed how these small and seemingly insignificant little words are getting left out of our American culture.

It disappoints me to see how much, or I should say, how little people acknowledge acts of kindness or consideration. I believe in doing a good deed or something nice at least once a day, no matter how little or small it may be. It not only makes me feel the better for it, but hopefully, maybe it just may bring a smile or make someone else’s day.

We, as a society, are in such a hurry to get to where it is we may be going that it seems we forget to take the time or bother to be polite. A “case in point”: what is your reaction when someone holds a door open for you to enter? Or waits in a parking lot for you to cross in front of them? Or how about when you wait for someone to pull in a parking space and you let them go in front of you? What would you do? Often times a slight little wave of thanks or expression

of your gratitude goes a long ways, but there again, more often than not, unfortunately, it goes without being acknowledged.

So I guess this is what I am getting at. “Acts of kindness” no matter how small go a long way at letting people know that you appreciate their good will. And next time an opportunity comes along to reciprocate a little courtesy, “Do It”; you just may find that it makes your world and theirs, just a little bit brighter.