I Believe

H - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe many people have the idea that a “hero” is someone famous or well known. In my eyes, a hero is someone that is very close to you, and that has been there for you since day one. I believe in everyone’s life his or her parents should be their hero. The reason for believing this is because in every young woman or man’s life the parent is the most important person. When I think back to when I was younger, I remember who was the parent that took care of me when I was sick, fed me when I was hungry, put clothes on my back, and who even gave me a ride when I needed one, My parent!

In my eyes, my mother is my hero. She’s not only my hero, but she has had the biggest effect on my life. There is not a doubt that I wouldn’t be as far in life if it weren’t for her. My mother is a very bright, encouraging young woman and means the world to me. The reason I picture my mother as my hero is because in my eyes she’s been through hell and back. Growing up, my mother raised three girls and had two girls by the age of 23, which was a hard task. She was a single, working mother who made sure her kids got everything they needed before she thought about herself.

My mother has told me many stories about her life and growing up. One story that I would like to share is that a long time ago when I was younger my mom met a guy and who was in the Marines, and he was stationed in California. My mom was pregnant with my youngest sister, and she wanted us to pack everything up and head to California just for this one guy. When, we got to California; he turned out to be the worst person in the world. He was very mean to my mom, to my oldest sister, and I. Many mothers might have hung around and put up with it, but not my mom. She packed up everything, moved back home, got a job, and made sure that we got to school everyday.

Now, a few years later, my mom is better off and us girls are growing up. She met a guy, who made her face light up every time I saw her come home from a date with him. They ended up getting married, and he has been the best thing in our lives that God could bring us. My mom is my hero, I know in her life she’s gone through so much. My sisters and I have always been her first priority, and I know in my heart we will always be.