The Truth Shall Set You Free

A - Napoleon, Ohio

The Truth Shall Set You Free

“The truth shall set you free”, is a quote by Jesus in John 8:32 from the Holy Bible. This quote is very important in my life. This quote helps me make a lot of the decisions in my life. I believe to be truthful is one of the most important aspects in a person’s life because lying only gets people into trouble, and telling the truth makes them better people.

In my life I have felt the effects of people who lie, and I have seen where lies can take someone in life. I know that everyone lies now and then, and some lie more than others. I also believe that lying is a sin, but if a person confesses that they have lied they will be “set free” and forgiven in God’s eyes.

In my life I have experienced many people lie to me. As a child my parents split up, my father moved away, and always had a different address. He would always promise to come back and visit me but never did. I am 18 now, I am still told the same promises. Recently, my father promised he would come to see me and watch me walk down the isle at my graduation ceremony. However, my father is now sitting in jail and will not get to see me graduate. I have also witnessed my siblings go to jail for lying to our parents and lying to the police simply to defend themselves. I have been in trouble for lying to my mom and to my friends over things that were not worth lying about. I know that I have lost friends from lying, but I have learned from my mistakes.

From these experiences I have learned that lying only gets people hurt, and it sometimes does permanent damage in people’s lives. When I feel that I should lie to better myself I always stop and think about how it may badly affect my life in the long run. I think about how it may hurt others, and how I can live my life without lying to the people that I love. I have learned that when a person lies and afterwards tells the truth and apologizes they truly feel better about themselves and are forgiven internally.