Equality For All

T - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: equality

As children we are taught to be friends with everyone, no matter what they look like or if they are a boy or a girl. However, as children grow up, they lose the innocence that they once had, and they start to look at things differently and become a little more judgmental. I am still the innocent child that doesn’t judge a person because of the way they look or the clothes they wear. I believe in equality. I believe that every person should be treated the same. I don’t think that any individual should have to fight for the right to be treated equally. When God created man, He created man in His own image. God isn’t a judgmental person He treats every individual equally. Therefore, I believe that every individual no matter what race or ethnicity should be treated equally. How can someone be judgmental about the color of a person’s skin or religion or judge a person because of his or her outward appearance, such as weight, clothing, piercing or tattoo? Being looked at differently or made fun of for being different can be very hurtful. There was a time in my life when I was told that I couldn’t do something because of my outward appearance.

During my junior year of high school, the blood mobile drive was approaching. While I was in one of my classes, the teacher was encouraging the students to donate blood. I was already thinking about giving blood, and his encouragement helped me decide that I would. I went to go get a paper to fill out, and another faculty member confronted me and also spoke to me about giving blood. However, this faculty member told me that they didn’t think that I could give blood because I had a few facial piercings. I was hurt by what he had to say but decided that I would ask a member of the American Red Cross what would disqualify a person from giving. I found out that I was allowed to give blood, and it didn’t matter if I had piercings or not. I ended up telling the faculty member that I was still an eligible donor for blood and maybe they shouldn’t be so quick to judge.

I believe that a person shouldn’t be judged for what they look like on the outside because what counts is the person on the inside. If we all hurt, think, breathe, and bleed the same, then why can’t we all be treated the same? I don’t think a child, teenager, or even an adult should have to go home and cry at night because of the way they look or the religion they practice, and it’s not fair that some job employers refuse to hire people because of the color of their skin or gender. I treat people the same way that I would like to be treated. I believe in equality.