Hard work leads to success

c - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: work

I believe that success is achieved through hard work. Success is hard to come by and doesn’t just fall into your lap. First, hard work is required to be put into a position to achieve the success an individual is looking for. Throughout high school, I have enjoyed playing on the football team and have learned many valuable lessons that apply to me everyday, but none more than the lesson of hard work achieves success.

During my football career, I couldn’t just show up and expect to play; I had to work hard to make it onto the field. First of all, it took hard work to get the grades required to be able to participate on the team. Coaches want athletes who them show that the athlete has the work ethic and determination in the classroom before they let kids play on the team.

Another way success in football requires hard work is in the weight room. During the summer I had to prepare my body for the upcoming hits in competition. I found out my freshman year that it would take long hours of intense training to condition my body to a level where I could compete effectively for a starting job as an offensive lineman on the team.

Then, during the spring of my junior year, I tore a labrum in my shoulder and had to get it surgically repaired. After my surgery, it took months of hard work and rehab to get my shoulder back into shape so I would not miss out on my senior year of football. After all of the rehab throughout the summer, I got my shoulder into good enough condition to be able to help lead my team to one of its best seasons in recent memory.

It takes hard work to succeed in everyday life not just football. I am still working hard to keep up good grades so that I can receive educational scholarships to help pay for my schooling next year in college. This summer I will be working and must show my employer that I will give him all of the effort that he expects out of me day in and day out. This lesson I have learned in high school about working hard to achieve success will continue on with me and motivate me for the rest of my life.