A Little Fear to Conquer

Billy - Seven Valleys, Pennsylvania

Have you ever willingly stepped into the ring to find out that your opponent is a Godzilla child with bulging arms ripping through his shirt and angry sweat dripping down his face? Well I have felt my stomach do an enormous 360 degree turn inside me because this thing is staring right through my eyes! Now I might be exaggerating just a tad, but this spasm attack usually happens before every big game and that is the truth! I like to refer these little “freak-out-occurrences” as pre-game-gitters. I believe that if you are a little worried about something important, then it means you are going to be “on your toes” whether it is a game, test, or important meeting at work.

This fear is witnessed by almost every teenager I know. I play four major sports. They are football, wrestling, basketball, and baseball. Almost every time I get worried before one of these games, I look around and see that most of my teammates are wearing the same expression. But this fear isn’t the over powering I’m-gonna-puke-please-don’t-make-me-do-this, feeling. No this fear is more of a presence inside of you that keeps you performing your best “in the game”. “It’s ok to be afraid boy…..just don’t let that fear get to you. Look past it and move on. If you can do that, then you know you are going to do your best.” – James Steinpries AZ State Champ Wrestler

Though, this doesn’t only apply to teenagers, adults go through this too. Many times I have seen my dad come home with an apprehensive look on his face. He walks in, and immediately plops himself into his recliner chair and his thoughts seem to be in the distance. He spends most of his evening and part of the morning preparing for the “big meeting”. I ask him before he leaves to work “Dad, are you alright?” He responds

“I will be fine; I just have to stay on my toes.” This proves that my “worried means aware” philosophy works because my parent uses it everyday.

Finally, this way of life can be used in your everyday life. Sometimes I get a little squeamish before a big test at school. I have about three “crash study courses”, and yet I still come to school picturing my teacher taking one of those old stamps and crushing a blood soaked F on my paper. Then I finally get to the test and I realize “Hey this isn’t as hard as I thought!” So for you “worry warts” out there, take it from me, you will do totally fine!

As you can see, this philosophy can be applied to your everyday life, or even an important sporting event. I believe that if you are a little scared before an important event, then it means you will do your best. So if you are just going to pick up your pictures at the store, or if you are going to a big national board meeting, you can always stay on your toes if you have pre-game-gitters on your side. This I believe.