Taking That New Road

Jason - Dallastown, Pennsylvania

How many times do you pass a road and wonder where it goes? Next time you pass one of those roads, see where it goes. You never know where it might take you. I believe that all roads lead somewhere. Okay, I know it sounds obvious. Of course roads go somewhere. I don’t just mean roads like streets; I also mean new things you try. Doing something new is like taking a different street: it will always get you somewhere.

One time, I was on a bike ride with my brother. We were at the top of this hill, and had no clue what was down the other side. This wasn’t a mountain biking trail; it was just a new road. Anyway, my brother wanted to turn back.

“C’mon, let’s see where this road goes!” I said.

“No, I just want to go home.”

“Let’s go! It’ll be fun!”

He finally agreed. In the end, we ended up going an extra two miles, but it was fun. And it got us somewhere.

Okay, that was a more literal example. This is a little more philosophical. Once you try something new, it will always get you somewhere, whether it is good or bad. And going somewhere bad gives you experience. You know how not to do something or where not to go. Doing something wrong shows you what it feels like to do something wrong, and makes you realize that not all things will go the way you want them to. Remember that all roads will take you somewhere. Your job is to find the good in where it takes you.

Okay, I have another literal example. I went camping once. I wake up really early even when it is a weekend or vacation. I woke up at about five thirty, and no one else was awake. I decided to take a run through the woods because I like to run and I like hikes. I put my shoes on and left, not bothering to tell anyone where I was going. I was about a half mile into the woods when I came to a fork in the road. I randomly decided to go right. A little while later, it hit me. I had absolutely no idea where I was, and if I got hurt, and if I got hurt, no one would know where I was. I stopped running. Panting, I looked around. I was pretty nervous, but I just went backwards. This story shows that you can back out of a problem most of the time. Retrace your steps and you can get back to safety.

Don’t be afraid to try something new. All experiences give you knowledge that can help you in the future. Trying something new adds adventure to life. All roads take you somewhere, if it is good or bad, and you will always benefit from doing something new. This I believe.