The Ground Has Eyes and Can See

Aaron - Jacobus, Pennsylvania

It was in the morning at school and I was walking down the hall. Class had just let out and everyone was pushing and shoving to get to their next class. A girl in front of me dropped her book and didn’t realize it. I stopped, picked it up, and stuck it back under her arm before she noticed. Did I get anything in return? No. Did I care? No. what matters is I did what was right, even though no one was looking. That’s what I believe.

Too many people in this world today think that if they do something good, they need to be complimented and praised. That’s not the case. Doing what’s right when no one is looking prepares us for when people are looking. I know I don’t speak for myself when I say that I have been in many situations where all eyes are on me. Do I blend in and make fun of the class nerd? Or do I do what’s right and step up and help him? Eventually, I know that I will have to make the decision either to take the cigarette or say no and lead a drug free life. Let’s face it. Everyone one wants to be the cool kid in school. But if we start doing what’s right when no one is looking right now, then it will make it easier to make decisions when everyone’s looking.

Doing what’s right even when no one is looking isn’t a completely true belief. I believe that someone is always watching you. There are billions of people in this world, and I believe that someone is always watching you. You would be surprised how often you are watched. People remember when you do these things.

In order to be successful in this world, we have to reach out of our comfort zone sometimes. Doing what’s right, even though no one is looking, can be out of our comfort zone sometimes. I know that I’ve been in situations before when, if someone would have been looking, I would have done the right thing. Now, I’m not saying that I have made any horrible decisions in my life, but I know that I could have done better in some situations. We all live a short life on this earth. We only have a little bit of time to say what we have to say and do what we have to do. When I die and watch my life on rewind, I want to be able to say, “Wow, I led a great life.” Doing what’s right isn’t just getting by; it’s taking a one step further and helping someone out.

Someone asked me once, “How do you do it?” and I said, “I believe that the ground has eyes!”

I know that the ground doesn’t have eyes, but it inspires me to do what’s right. We should all do what’s right whenever we can. That’s why we were put on this earth. This I believe.