It’s Just a Game

Katie - Glen Rock, Pennsylvania

Life is a fragile gift being sent down the rough pathways of reality. It is bumped, jostled, and banged with problems, ideas, and temptations. If you package it with the right padding, like true friends and a good family, it will survive the journey. Many people insist on trying to protect the gift of life with things such as fame and money, but these things have hidden hard edges that complicate and roughen the journey.

“The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water; but to walk on the earth.”

-Chinese Proverb

I believe in the miracle of life. I know, that sounds all mushy-gushy, as if it were coming from a person that has had close family members die. Or from a new mother, or something. But I’m not. I’m just a regular, almost thirteen-year-old seventh grader.

Like this Chinese proverb, I believe that many people over think life. They think that money is everything, or that to be the first person to reinvent the wheel is everything. Many people are also ‘stuff centered’. They believe that to have the best car, biggest house and most important title will bring them happiness.

But maybe, just maybe those people who are obsessed with fame and money and getting things will stop and think what I believe, ‘The real miracle is just being alive to walk on this earth, and to be able to make choices, and to be able to stop and smell the roses.’ Maybe, just maybe, they will.

Sometimes, I look out the car window and see a hassled mom driving a minivan about twenty miles over the speed limit, and I think ‘Hey lady! Is that soccer game that you’re speeding your kid to really important enough to drive that fast? The kid’s team can wait until you get there. It’s just a game. What if you got pulled over, or got in an accident? How important would the game be then?’

It’s just a game. Life, I mean. If you miss a chance, it will usually come again. If it doesn’t, it probably wasn’t important. I believe in the gift of life, and we shouldn’t waste it on things like always trying to be the best. Life to me should be simpler, with simple, happy joys that everyone revels in. Like cold lemonade on a hot day. Or a sunny day after a week of rain. Things like these are good packaging for the journey of your gift of life.

This I believe.