It was the Worst of Times, And it was the Best of Times

Josh - York, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope

The first words that I really understood were, “He may only have a 45% chance of making it out of this alive.” I was only two days old, but I remember it like I was the person holding the scalpel, not the one under it. When I heard those words I didn’t give up. I may not have had the power to do so, only being 48 hours old, but given the choice I wouldn’t have. That’s why I believe you should always have hope.

Me and my brother have been through our share of hard times, both having cystic fibrosis, a mainly respiratory and digestive disease. There have been times when I was feeling alone in this world, when I feel it is all too much, and I just want it over. Then, I come out of the dark and into a bright light, and I realize that there are hundreds of people working to save what one day could be my life. I see that I have a loving family and better friends than I probably deserve. Then, I think back to my anger, and I think if I would’ve let my anger drive me I would not have this loving family or these incredible friends.

Always having hope can lead you to do great things. This is what I believe.

There is a man; he has cystic fibrosis just like 30,000 other Americans, such as me and my brother. However, there is a difference that he has from the rest of the patients of CF. he didn’t let his difference stop him, in fact, it drove him, drove him to do something unimaginable for CF patients. He became a professional body builder. His mother said to him, “Son, you can do whatever you want to, no matter what.” He never gave up hope. On a more personal level, I have had many accomplishments that I am quite proud of. I am currently running track on my school team, and have one of the best lung capacities of anyone, let alone kids with CF of about 125% (that’s really good).

My brother has been through especially hard times, having been through the ruthless experience of having a bacteria in his lungs that can be fatal to CF patients. He had to get a device called a PICC line inserted into his heart, which required surgery. He stayed strong, and his 1st words with the PICC line in him were “I feel nothing!!!” This has always been a reminder to me to listen to my belief.

Always have hope.