Jennifer - Cheektowaga, New York

I believe that people should treat others as they want to be treated. I think the world would be a much happier place if people did that. Imagine what a smile, or courteous gesture could do to brighten someone’s day. People often forget the influence they have over other people’s emotions. I know that I’ve […]

I believe that people should treat others as they want to be treated. I think the world would be a much happier place if people did that. Imagine what a smile, or courteous gesture could do to brighten someone’s day. People often forget the influence they have over other people’s emotions. I know that I’ve always been told “Sticks and stones may break your bones and words can never hurt you.” I think words hurt more than sticks and stones. Bumps and bruises heal, but the damage to one’s confidence and self worth are far more difficult to heal.

I think back to my own experience in 6th grade. Now, more than a decade later, those days still haunt me. Things I should have said or done. The entire group of girls in my class turned against me, I had no friends. People who I thought were my friends decided to share my secrets infront of the entire class. I was forced to play on the boys side of the playground because I couldn’t bear to hang around with those girls. Then because it was a Catholic school, I got in trouble for that.

Those are wounds that can last a lifetime. A meaningless experience to one person, can be life altering to another. Think twice before you speak. Speach is one of the most powerful tools we have as human beings. It’s one of the things that separates us from the animals. So why not use speach to repair rifts and relationships instead of using it to widen the gap. My hopes and dreams for the future are that the youth of tomorrow learn to accept each others differences. What a boring place this earth would be with out them.