Respect Is Important

Chad - Robinson, Texas
Themes: respect

Why should you show respect to other people? Well, I believe that if you will show respect to others, they will most likely show respect back to you because you have not given them a reason to disrespect you. Showing respect to people is the easiest way to get on somebody’s good side. You should respect others, especially your elders, because they have more knowledge and life experiences than you do.

Just by saying sir and ma’am you can show respect to your peers. It doesn’t even have to be people you know, because you never know where you might see that person again. It is not always the major things that you do or say for other people that show them that you respect them. There are tons of easy ways you can show respect. For example, you can just open a door for a group of elderly people coming into a restaurant. You can not earn respect without doing anything to show it.

When I was thirteen years old and in seventh grade one of the substitutes at my school did not like me very much and I had always wondered why. I came to the conclusion that I was not showing respect to her. Whether it was goofing off in class or making smart remarks when she would say something. I was not showing her respect. I had taken advantage of her and not even realized why she would embarrass with one of my childhood stories. I decided not to act up for a couple of days when she was one of our classes’ substitutes. Just in those couple of days I learned a lesson that I will carry throughout the rest of my life.

Now I am in eight grade and fourteen years old. That substitute still is in my classes every once in a while. I have learned to respect her and now she respects me back by not telling one of my childhood stories. We get along very well and joke around in class. This makes our days a lot more fun. I look forward to the days she is our substitute and she looks forward to the days she is teaching me. This has not only affected my relationship with her but also all of my everyday teachers. This year has been the easiest of my years at my school.

Respect is an important lesson everyone needs to learn and carry throughout their lives. If you show respect you will gain it. There is no reason to disrespect someone no matter what they have done to you. This is why I believe in showing respect to others.