Smile every day!

Jacob - York, Pennsylvania

The lips wrenched down, a forceful whip upon the flesh, casting a disturbing, upsetting mood. Whenever I see these lips-on the streets, in the school hallway, even at my house, a wave of nausea trickles through my spine, like the prickly fingers of death clawing uncertainly, without a purpose.

I hate it when people frown. When a person lets their jawbone loose, causing their craggily lips to turn to that distasteful direction, I want to scream to those cheekbones of theirs-“Stop! Don’t give yourselves up to that position!” For, as crazy as it seems, I tend to classify frowning as a thing, preferably resembling the hairy figure of a spider, waiting in the dark, ready to pounce at any moment.

When unfamiliar people look at me, their first impression is, “Whoa. That guy is creepy. Why the heck does he smile so often?” I can see this look of uncertainty in the eyes of practically everyone I meet. Unlike some other people would, I don’t get disturbed by their thoughts. I just keep on smiling.

Whenever people think of me as some crazed wacko, it makes me sad to think that smiling isn’t the ordinary thing to do. Frowning is more common than smiling. This needs to change, and I intend to help start that noble cause. Think of how much happier I could become. Think of all the people in the nation who could benefit from this sole idea, to “grin every day.” Think of the world. Think of how much happier the world would become. Don’t let that spider get you, sinking its venomous fangs into your flesh. You can overcome this spider. We all can.

I have in fact already started this cause. Whenever I see unhappy people with their head tilted down, not acknowledging the glistening eyes of friendly citizens, I stop in my tracks. With a friendly gesture, I follow them, side by side, exchange a greeting, and nonchalantly engage them in conversation. Before long, we are both cracking up at some corny joke. I have helped a person have a better day, and in return, made a friend.

Lifting the spirits of people truly does give me a warm feeling in my heart, a feeling of happiness that I wish to share with the world. Making individual people laugh is taking small steps, but everything counts towards getting the message out to “smile every day.”

So, when you are walking your dog, and see a grumpy old lady muttering to herself, flash those pearly whites! She might just glare at you, but that can’t stop you from beaming down at her old wrinkled face. Smile every day! It will make people around you happier, and the world a better place to live. This I believe.