Acceptance

Carlee - Robinson, Texas
Themes: respect

Acceptance

Do you have blue skin and purple eyes? Well my skin is green and I have pink eyes. Just because we all look different doesn’t mean we should treat each other differently. We wouldn’t want the world to be boring, or else everything would be the same, so we need to respect and accept people for who they are.

I was at my friend’s house one day for our K-Life bible study group. The topic we talked about was beauty. Accepting people for who they are no matter what they look like. We talked about things like for instance. If you go to the mall and see a girl who has on an old t-shirt, sweat pants, and tennis shoes with holes in them, the first thing you think is, her clothes are old and grungy, her hair is nappy, and she has no make-up on. What was she thinking? I look so much better than her. Different people have different opinions. Someone may think she is drop dead gorgeous, but someone else may think she isn’t so pretty. Beauty on the outside is just an opinion.

Prejudging is so easy to do. Sometimes you don’t even realize you are doing it. If someone talked about me in a bad way, I wouldn’t be so happy, would you? One day I was at my grandma’s house for Easter, and my aunt’s boyfriend brought his 16 year old sister with him. When she walked in, I was shocked. I didn’t expect that at all. She was kind of big, had a deeper voice, and all I could think was, “o my.” Who is she? As the day went on, I got to know her better and better. Once I realized what I had done, I felt horrible. I was wrong about all the things I had thought. She is a very sweet person. We played games and talked about all kinds of stuff. I had a great time with her.

This has really impacted my life. I am always telling people to not make fun of other people just because they don’t dress like you do, or don’t have the same color hair. When I am somewhere and people start talking bad about other people, it makes me want to ask them, “Do you want me to talk about you like that? If not, then don’t say that about them.” No matter what skin color, how you dress, male or female, everyone deserves the right to be treated fair, and equally.

Everyone is different and unique in their own ways, and people need to respect that. Being different is important. It is good to be different. Don’t be ashamed because you aren’t like everyone else. No matter what’s on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside that counts, so don’t judge a book by its cover. Get to know somebody before you start saying things about them. Accept people for who they are, no matter what. This I believe.