The Power of Laughter

Emily - Fruitport, Michigan

The Power of Laughter

Most people say that being a ditz becomes nonexistent with maturity, but I am now graduating high school and this has yet to happen to me. Around my group of friends, I am knows as the klutz. The girl who will fall into a ditch that everybody else notices, will trip over her own feet, and will with out a doubt rear-end a car in parked traffic. That is me, Emily Shelton.

Most people can usually count on me for making a fool out of myself on a daily basis. My friends come to me at random times when they want a good laugh, and with out even trying I give it to them. However even though I never fail to make a replica of the stereotype “dumb blond”, I never find the time to be uncomfortable or embarrassed. No matter how many times I fall down the stairs in public, or mispronounce a word during an important speech, I always end up laughing. Always. This is because I believe in the power of laughter.

Now, the laughter that I believe in is not just the daily chuckle that you try to hold back every time somebody trips in the hallway. I am talking about the can’t breath, pee your pants, abdominals hurt, burst into tears, kind of laugh. When your face gets stuck in the “smile” pose, and when you roll around on the ground gasping for that much needed breathe. This is the finest most powerful laughter in the world. Laughing can help with the daily “moments” that many people of all ages have, and can also make others laugh with you.

Being able to laugh at myself has helped me in many unusual situations. It has defiantly had a special part in what most people would call my most “embarrassing moment.” This was another klutzy episode made by the one and only. It was a warm summer day, and I was involved in a neighborhood game of “chase the girls” with the boys down the street. As I was running down the long winding road, I could see a fence that I was going to have to jump in the next upcoming seconds. Swiftly I started to think to myself Oh my god… here comes another ditzy moment once again. Giggles came from inside of me. Then the next thing I know I’m about to jump the fence in front of all of my friends.

As I went to go pole-vault over the fence, my flip-flop flew off, and my entire ankle and foot got stuck in between the bars. I was hanging upside down by one leg, laughing uncontrollably. I was laughing so hard, that I started to feel something warm and wet run down what should have been my leg. It was my stomach! Down my stomach and onto my face ran pee. This moment for an ordinary person would have been horrendous, but for a ditzy girl like me, it was just another day. Don’t get me wrong, it was truly an extremely awkward moment, but all I could do was laugh.

Being a complete ditz isn’t what most people say it is. It is a great asset that adds to my personality, and I love it. I have the best medicine to cure any bad day, and I believe that it is the most dominant healer in the world. There are some people on this earth who can never laugh, so I am certainly grateful. Life is too short to not laugh. This is why I undoubtedly believe in the power of laughter.