Hard Work Always Leads to Greatness

Mary - Dallastown, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

My mom once said, “If you work hard and never give up, it will always pay off.” I live by this quote because it’s true. We’ve all failed. These setbacks can stay with us in life, or we can overcome them. It may seem unthinkable when life’s not fair, or that our hard work isn’t good enough. But, I believe true hard work will always pay off in the end.

We all yearn for success and when it doesn’t happen, sometimes we break down and give up. Trust me; I’ve done it many times. Some of my lowest points occurred when I stopped living to the best of my ability. Last month in math class, I had failed a test. I, an honors student, had bombed the exam. My spirits were demolished. My parents weren’t too cheeky about it either.

“I’m sorry, but you should’ve studied harder. You probably won’t get an A this marking period.” My mom’s comment made me ponder what went wrong, and then it hit me like a wall of bricks. I blew the grade because I was just getting by in classes with reduced effort. That’s not the way to live. I was fed up.

What did I do about it? I worked like crazy, and by the end of the marking period, all those nights of studying paid off. I earned my A in math.

“I’m shocked! I didn’t think that you’d pull it off, but your hard work made the difference,” Mom raved. I felt power within me, like I could do anything as long as I didn’t cut corners.

I believe someday, success will find you if you work hard. The word someday is the major word in my belief. It may not work out now; it may not work out for five years. But as long as you stay determined, it will come together. I’ve had experience with this, especially in sports. When it comes to my sports, soccer and basketball, I haven’t been satisfied with my talent. I’ve made many sacrifices to improve.

“Do you want to hang out?” friends would ask.

“I can’t. I have soccer, basketball, and then I want to shoot at my basketball net. My shot needs doctoring.” To be honest, I haven’t felt better about my ability in either sport after all the trouble. But I’m not giving up because I know that someday, it’ll get better.

I’m young, but I’ve already tasted victory and smelled defeat. And I’ve begun to realize that you can’t achieve anything significant without all of your energy, or the consequences are colossal. It doesn’t stop with sports or schooling either. Let’s talk big picture. Where do you want to be in life? Whether you plan on owning a store or becoming a singer, your dream will only be attained with unbreakable effort. You may fail once or fifty times, but these are the dilemmas which push you. It doesn’t matter how many times you descend, someday you will get up and say, “I am.” The hard work will benefit one day. This I believe.