Mini But Mighty

Alexa - Chandler,, Arizona

I was raised to see people from the inside-out, but not everyone has the same view. I’m not tall, I’m not even medium, but that doesn’t change the size of my voice, or my might. I just have to work a little bit harder to be heard.

People say that I’m lucky to have the body I do. I’m small and thin. But being thirteen and four feet, eleven inches is not as easy as you may think. Everyone stands above me, talks above me, they pretty much live above me. I get sick of craning my neck to see the board, waitresses giving me kiddy menus at restraunts, and being called Mini-Me. People just assume I’m not strong and I’m not heard because I’m a wee bit shorter. But guess what? I’ve trained as a gymnast for 7 years and I’m a cheerleader at my middle school and future high school.

I am strong, I have to be to participate in cheer and gymnastics. Here you say, “But those aren’t real sports”! Oh how wrong you are. Gymnastics may be the single most physically demanding and dangerous sport out there. Consider the strength and courage required to do flips on four inch wide, 5 foot high beams, or running full speed at a stationary object to flip over it.

To be a cheerleader, you have to be able to yell, and I mean yell. You also have to be comfortable throwing girls up ten or fifteen feet in the air and catching them before they hit the deck, and you must, must, must know how to keep your muscles tight for every motion.

Bet you didn’t know such a tiny person could participate in such strenuous sports? I know I’m not alone, and I know that every one of us, “shorties”, has a different way of telling our stories. So, I’m not your Average Joe, who is Average Joe anyway, who’s to say he didn’t have his challenges? Everyone has them, one of mine happens to be my height.

There are a few advantages to my “special gene”. When I show up to parties and dances, I can rest assured that no one will be wearing what I am. And, I can get in cheaper at the movies. I could pull off eleven years old if I wanted to. That doesn’t mean I’m less able compared to taller people. I believe that people should judge people by who they really are, not what they look like. But most of all, I’m always looking up.