Hard Work Pays Off

Will - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: work

I believe that hard work and determination always pay off no matter what. Over the years of my life, I’ve seen many people fritter their time away watching television, playing video games, and doing other things of little value which require even less effort. They always look for the fun in life, and if something that they encounter appears not fun, they abandon it without trying to work at it and get to the more fulfilling aspect of it, whether it be sports or some other hobby. These same people then turn around and gawk at rock stars and billionaires and wonder why they aren’t at that level in life. Why couldn’t they achieve that greatness? They almost inevitably come to the conclusion that “it wasn’t meant to be” or “life wasn’t fair to me, they must’ve just gotten lucky.” They couldn’t be more wrong.

In my freshman year of high school, I was an average kid with no particular outstanding skills to brag about. I was looking for a hobby that would fulfill that void in my life. It was then that I picked up the electric guitar, an instrument that both fascinated me and intimidated me. Anyone who’s ever played those first notes on their guitar knows what I’m talking about when I say that it sounds a lot different then what you might expect; compared to the players you’ve listened to for years, you sound terrible. I’m convinced that it’s at this stage that most aspiring guitarists quit; they feel as if they cannot attain the level of playing that their idols have reached, that those idols were born with the innate ability to play their instrument and they, being average people, weren’t. So they give up. I however made a conscious decision to keep playing regardless of the fact that I sounded terrible at first and it did actually begin to pay off over time. I noticed I was getting better and at a fast rate too. I not only persevered through those first grueling months, but also past the point where many guitarists will stop advancing, satisfied with their level of playing. I continued to play and to practice hard, and I still strive hard today to attain the level of my guitar idols.

I believe that these guitar “giants” are no different than me save that they have had more time to perfect their skill on the instrument, and I think that it is because of that belief that I have had success with my practice. It was important for me to realize that not only would hard work pay off, but that it would pay off for me. I believe that it is possible for anybody to do nearly anything if they believe in their hard work and determination.